Monday, June 4, 2012

I'm Back!



The big Newsies billboard in Times Square!
After a brief hiatus, in which I went back to FL and back to my job (so I could make more money to see more Newsies), I am finally back in NYC - for an entire week - and seeing Newsies 8 times while I am here! Travels were easy, cause I am very fortunate to be able to pass out on airplanes. Before I knew it, I was back in NY and surprisingly... it's chilly here. In June! That's a nice reprieve from the 90 degree weather of Florida this time of year. Anyway, enough about the weather! Let's talk about Newsies.

I headed to the theater around 6:30pm for a 7pm show. President Obama was in the theater next door for a rally of some sort, so things outside were not totally normal. Barricades were set up outside and secret service were everywhere, but it didn't seem to affect the show much, if at all. The show did start later than I remember, around 7:15 or so, but that might not have anything to do with the president... it could just be the groove the show has worked itself into. 

The show was great. I mean, I am biased... clearly. But honestly, all these months later I was thrilled to see the cast up there with just as much energy as they had during previews. I do notice the little things they have changed within their own performances, and I adore that stuff. It's why going back again and again is ok... because every show has the potential to be different from the last. Jeremy is still mind-blowingly awesome, and Kara seems to have really found a groove with her performance. Their chemistry is lovely from off stage. The audience really seemed to be into the show, which as a fan who has seen it so many times, is really moving for me. I don't know WHY I care so much, but man it sure is nice when the audience gasps and laughs and cheers at all the right moments. 

So the show was great, and curtain call was high energy and fun as it always is, but when it was over and before the cast had left the stage, the theater made an announcement over the house speakers saying the NYPD has asked that everyone stay in their seats due to the event next door (that would be the President's shindig). For how long? That was not known. The orchestra played out a little longer and the cast left the stage to change out of their costumes. Andrew (Crutchie), however appeared on stage still in costume within moments and with a hand held microphone. At that point I knew we were probably going to get an impromptu talk back... and I was right. Andrew bantered with the audience a bit and took a few questions. Slowly some of the other Newsies and cast members began to trickle out and hang out on stage. 

A few highlights include a seemingly intoxicated girl inviting herself on stage and asking if any of the Newsies were "single and ready to mingle." The lack of interest from the boys was not shocking (and for those wondering, the general consensus is that most are engaged, or otherwise committed). After sending her back to her seat, a little bit later a younger girl asked if she could get some kisses on the cheek since it was her birthday. She was also denied access to Newsie love, but they did acapella sing "Happy Birthday" to her... with harmonies. It was nice. Someone has it up on YouTube shot from the balcony. (Please don't ask me why I didn't video the talk back - lapse in sanity; though I saw some other cameras out, so it might turn up online). 

I'm not sure how long the talk back lasted, but I am guessing after 15-20 minutes or so, they finally opened the doors and let people out. The street was a mess because they wouldn't let anyone go left down 41st, so everyone was funneled right. Some gawkers stopped to take pics of the president's car and stuff, which slowed down the whole movement process, but it was manageable. I didn't actually see the president. It didn't really seem like NYPD wanted people hanging around the barricades, so I headed back to my hotel. From what I could see and the state of the street, I don't think there was any stage door signing to be had. 

Once in my room I saw some twitter reports of Jeremy Jordan being chased down 8th Ave by some teenage girls. As ridiculously amused by this as I am, I want to point out that this is NOT OK. Girls, I know the Newsies are irresistible, but chasing them down the street is all kinds of uncomfortable for them. Try not to do that. Of course this all could be over-exagerated and the chase could have been a few steps. I didn't see it, I'm just horrified and amused enough to mention it. 

Newsies will be dark on Tuesday, so my plan is to attempt to score lotto tickets for Peter and the Starcatcher. Fingers crossed, because I've been blowing my dough and going deluxe with Newsies, so I could stand to save some pennies elsewhere!